David Campbell was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 1864. He came to Portland in 1878 and shortly afterward became a member of the volunteer fire department, being assigned to duty in Engine Company No. 4. He served the three years required to earn an exemption certificate. In 1892, Campbell re-entered the department as a member of Engine Company No. 1, and was appointed as a foreman. In 1895, Campbell was appointed Fire Chief by Mayor Frank, and after serving fifteen months he was replaced by order of Mayor Pennoyer. He was again installed as chief by Mayor Mason in 1898, a position he filled until his untimely and tragic death.
1905 - Chief David Campbell and his driver in front of the central fire station at SW 4th and Morrison
A Progressive Leader
Chief Campbell spent nearly thirty years of his life as a fireman in the City of Portland; fourteen of those years were spent as department chief. In 1903, when a new city charter went into effect with civil service provisions, Campbell set about the task of re-organizing the half-pay department into a full-pay department. His ability as a leader was shown by the rapid success he attained in training his men and acquiring cutting-edge equipment for the department.
By 1906, Portland’s first fireboat was operating with efforts underway to add more. Cisterns and hydrants were being upgraded annually. The alarm system was upgraded so that all circuits terminated at city hall central station and the city could route alarms through a private telephone system.
Campbell quickly came to be recognized as the leading fire chief of the Pacific Coast and among the foremost in the nation; he was unanimously elected by his peers as president of the Pacific Coast Fire Chiefs’ Association in 1906. In 1909, Campbell bought his first staff car. His advocacy led to the Fire Department’s transition from horse-drawn apparatus to American-LaFrance chemical and hose engines capable of traveling at 45 mph. As fire horses Jerry, Roachy and Colonel would find out, this was only the beginning.